The Social Justice SIP Research Stipend provides students working on their Senior Integrated Project relating to social justice with a $2000 stipend that helps students alleviate the costs of doing their research over the summer months. The Stipend is paid out in two payments: $1500 in June and $500 at the end of August. The second payment of $500 is contingent on the completion of all requirements.
Please contact the ACSJL at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and any questions you may have.
- Applicant is a rising senior at Kalamazoo College.
- Project is in alignment with the Arcus mission, vision and values
- Has a SIP Project and Supervisor identified.
- Applicant has met with the Arcus Center prior to applying.
- Applicant is willing and has the capacity to engage in Arcus community for the year you receive funding, including events and trainings that align with your focus.
- Applicant has the capacity to answer questions about the impact of your project and potential next steps for your work.
- Applicant will present research at annual Social Justice Symposium in the Spring.
Submission Guidelines & Instructions
For the summer stipend of 2024, the application opens on February 29, 2023 and closes on April 30, 2023. A member of Arcus Center staff will notify those who have received the funding within two weeks of the application closing. This stipend is for use over the summer months (June-August) only. In order to be considered for the stipend, you must have your SIP advisor send in a brief letter of recommendation.
It is required that applicants schedule a meeting with the Student Leadership Coordinator prior to submitting an application to discuss your project and ensure that key social justice leadership concepts and practices are appropriately present in the project proposal. After submission and if awarded, applicants will be required to meet with Irene Muthui within 30 days of your return to campus after for final reporting and reflection.
This Fund provides students working on their Senior Integrated Project relating to social justice with a stipend to help recipients alleviate the cost of conducting their research over the summer months. We will review applications in detail and make decisions with the utmost thoughtfulness. In the spirit of reciprocity, we encourage you to approach these questions in the same vein, so we can get to know each other, explore shared interests and hopefully support each other’s work.