‘We are each other’s harvest; we are each other’s business; we are each other’s magnitude and bond.’ – Gwendolyn Brooks
Toward a Future Land
Toward a FutureLand was the theme for With/Out – ¿Borders? 2018. We invited land activists from across the globe who approach movement work understanding:
- Land as essential to Indigenous sovereignty movements
- Land as contested through the forced dislocation of people within and outside the US
- Land as strength and nurturance
From October 8 – 15, 2018, we brought together an intimate group of 30 land activists representing 12 projects from 13 countries. This convening allowed us to deeply examine the commodities and consumption of space as well as the reach and watch of colonial and corporate power. It also provided a space of connection, rest and rejuvenation for activists who tend to be committed to working for the long haul with low profiles. ACSJL covered all costs to attend and offered a stipend to each organization in acknowledgment of the cost of leaving their work to travel to and participate in the eight-day gathering. We did not ask participants to perform or provide anything but their presence to each other.
The list of organizations that attended the convening are as follows:
- Finca Conciencia – Puerto Rico
- Dalia Association – Palestine
- Consejo Nacional Urbano y Campesino (CNUC) Tlaxcala – Mexico
- Defend Boyle Heights – Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Detroit Black Food Security Network – Detroit, MI, USA
- AFRODES – Colombia
- Black Oaks Center for Sustainable and Renewable Living – Chicago, IL, USA
- Justicia for Migrant Workers (J4MW) – Toronto, Canada
- Ntinga Ntaba kaNdoda – South Africa
- South African Food Sovereignty Campaign – South Africa
- Pacific Climate Warriors – Pacific Islands
- Tewa Women United – New Mexico, USA
Visit the Without Borders 2018 Google map of the participants and organizations.
2014 and 2016 With/Out – ¿Borders?
In 2014 and 2016, With/Out – ¿Borders? featured a conference format that welcomed activists, artists, and progressive scholars to imagine a just future. With/Out – ¿Borders? will continue to convene activists from across the globe in the fall of even years, with varying structures and themes that speak to the salient issues of the day.
Hacia una Futura Tierra En Español
¿Te gustaría leer sobre el 2018 With/Out – ¿Borders? en español? ¡Visite la página With/Out – ¿Borders? 2018 En Español!